Thursday, April 18, 2013

Campfire Pack Meeting

In October we had our second annual Campfire Pack Meeting.  We made s'mores and had our Bobcat ceremony.  At the den meeting right before the pack meeting, the boys made campfire neckerchief slides.  This was our first go at making our own slides, and the boys really liked it.

I went to Home Depot and bought a length of 1/2" PVC, which is super inexpensive, and you get a ridiculous amount of 1" pieces from each length.  Side story, I have two Home Depot stores are that close to me.  The one that is slightly farther away has a much nicer staff that will pretty much do anything for you.  Example, I saw a PVC pipe "club house" on Pinterest and set out to make one last summer.  The awesome guys in the plumbing section not only cut all of the PVC to the specified size, they actually helped me build the ENTIRE thing in the middle of the aisle, marked all of the pieces, and carried everything out to the car for me.  The clubhouse was 5'x5' and nearly 10' tall.  Look.  For reference, that's a 6' high fence.  

The Home Depot that is closer to me, they aren't quite as accommodating.  When I asked the gentleman to cut the pipe into 1" sections for me, with a MACHINE, he directed me to the plumbing tools and told me to buy a manual PVC cutter.  Ah, well.  I learned how to do something new, and it IS easier to store one length of pipe and cut pieces off as needed rather than having a ton of 1" pieces taking up space in my supply drawers.

Back to the neckerchiefs.  I used this template for the slides.  I printed the stencil on card stock, and I did all of the tracing on to the red, orange, and yellow foam.  The boys cut out the pieces, glued them together, colored the popsicle sticks to look like logs, and glued them on top.  Our Boy Scout helper then hot glued the foam onto the PVC.


This is my tester slide.  You'll notice on the top picture that all of my pen marks are on the back slide of the slide that no one will see (thank you Alpine District for the tip!).  These were a really cute way to get the boys excited for the campfire, and a physical memory of the night.

Until Next Time,

CubMom

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I love these campfire neckerchief slides! They really look like a campfire.

Did you use regular sized popsicle sticks? I can't really tell from the picture.

Thanks!

CubMom902 said...

They are mini sized popsicle sticks. They fit much better than full sized!