Friday, July 6, 2012

Coloring Rice

 I mentioned in my last post that I'd like to use colored rice for iSpy bottles for my scouts.  The motivation hit and I got to it.  I made about 20 different colors using both regular and neon food coloring.

My supplies: two plastic cups, teaspoon measure, 1 cup measure, rice, food coloring, rubbing alcohol.  Not shown: plastic spoon.
 Add 1 teaspoon of alcohol to the cup, followed by 20-30 drops of food coloring.  If you're mixing two or three different colors, give the cup a little swirl; the color on the side of the cup post swirl will be the shade you end up with.  Add the rice last.
 Stir it all up, folding from the bottom to the top to get the color uniform throughout.  I like to dump the rice into another cup after I've mixed for a minute or so.  The darker colored rice that inevitably gets stuck on the bottom will come to the top for more uniform mixing of the rest of the rice.
 Spread it onto a plate or plastic container you aren't too attached to to dry.  I like to give it a little shake every half hour or so to break up the clumps.  It should be dry in about two hours, and the color won't transfer onto your fingers.
Just a few of the colors!
I'm storing the rice in plastic bags until I'm ready to use it.  I need to find a jar big enough to mix together about half of each color to use for our iSpy bottles.  


Due to the messy nature and that food coloring stains just about everything, I don't recommend having your cubs mix their own colors.  I made mine one cup at a time in various shades to give them enough choices if and when we do a project with single colors.  I'm thinking rice art instead of sand art jars, letting them make pictures by gluing down the colored rice like you would glitter.  You can work this in to the art electives, art belt loop, artist activity badge...the possibilities are endless!


Until next time,


CubMom  

No comments: