Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wax Paper Sun Catcher

Did you know that wax paper can be used to make a sun catcher?  Neither did I, so I thought I'd give it a go!  

I did a google image search for Cub Scout coloring pages, and I came across this little gem here.  I grabbed a piece of wax paper, and a box of Sharpies (washable markers will NOT work on wax paper!) and got to work.
I just moved my wax paper around to the different shapes to trace all of the components.  Then I colored it in.  Apparently, I haven't used my sharpies in a while, so many were pretty dried out.  Good thing I gave this project a try before I brought it to a meeting!  The results don't exactly look like a Cub Scout uniform, but I got the job done.
Then I cut it out with some zig zag scissors, punched a hole in the top and strung some ribbon through.  
Add a suction cup and you're good to go!  This project is definitely a keeper.  I'll put together several different printed images that the boys can trace, and also give them the option to draw something of their own.  You can tailor the images you print to go along with whatever achievement you're working on to add to your programming.  This could also work for the Webelos artist activity badge, art belt loop, or the make a gift electives in each of the handbooks.

Until next time,

CubMom


No comments: