Monday, July 2, 2012

Cub Scout Obstacle Course

Did you see the article a month or two back in Family Fun magazine about using pool noodles to make outdoor games?  I used that article as the basis to make an obstacle course out of pool noodles, duct tape, and wooden dowels.  I bought 45 pool noodles from the dollar store, had the duct tape on hand, and bought 2 bags of 12" dowels and four 36" dowels from the craft store.  It was a little bit of an investment, about $60, but I won't have to remake it every year, and I was able to give the components to our PE teacher to use for gym classes (which means I don't have to store it either!), and can use it when I need it going forward.


Here is a shot of the entire course.  Obstacles are broken down below.
 Javelin Throw
 "Tire" run
 These were supposed to be hurdles, but the boys ended up crawling under them instead!
 Not a good angle, but this was a set up in a zig zag
 I cut a noodle in half to make a ring toss
 and ended the course with a ball toss, using two noodles taped together to make the ring.


This actually kept them busy for close to an hour.  They wanted to go through over and over again!  I spent maybe an hour or two assembling everything, and then getting it all set up outside, so I definitely think it was time well spent.  


Until next time,


CubMom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea!