Thursday, July 19, 2012

Woven CD Coaster

I pinned this CD weaving tutorial a while back and decided to give it a try yesterday.  The blogger suggests making your own "needles" our of plastic lids, but I had some sturdy plastic needles on hand from my Wolves making bean bags two years ago, so I used that.  I recall getting a bag of 12 or so at the craft store for a dollar or two.  I won't bore you with the tutorial steps as it's already taken care of in the link above.  This was an easy project, can be tied into Making Something Useful, Webelos Craftsman, and probably the Native American themed electives for the weaving.  I had my older son give the weaving a try and he did well with it.  You can also use this to add, reinforce and enhance a knot tying meeting.  


Due to my near constant need to reorganize, I couldn't think for the life of me what I did with the box of blank CDs, so I just borrowed a movie from my kids!  I had to cut off my weaving to give it back to them when I finished!  


This is the loom part.
 Tie on your first color with a square knot.  
 It's just simple over and under, around and around.
 Tie on a new color when you get bored!
 I didn't finish all the way out to the edge, but you will want to to cover the entire CD.  I saw a pack of 12 CDs at the office supply store for $4.99 if you don't have any laying around the house.
For Wolves and Bears, I would have the loom part already prepared.  I'd have the Webelos do the entire thing themselves.  Depending on how many CDs you have on hand, you could give the boys a few extras to do at home so they have a set of coasters that they could give as a gift.  There is no limit to how many colors they can use, encourage them to tie on as many as they'd like and in the colors that they like.  The craft store usually has decent yarn in a variety of colors for $1 each.  I think this is something my scouts will really enjoy making!

Until next time,

CubMom

No comments: