Sunday, July 29, 2012

Recycled and Inexpensive Items for Projects

It was a great vacation week, but now we are back to business!


I drive everyone in the house insane because I'm constantly saying, "Don't throw that away!  I can use it for Cub Scouts!"  Among the things I save are cardboard paper towel tubes, cardboard toilet paper tubes, plastic jars, plastic takeout containers, spare nuts and bolts, extra stickers, scraps of paper, and magazines that have been read.  You just never know when or how you'll be able to put these things to use!


I also stock up on specific items when I see them on sale or clearance.  This is a great time of year to stock up on crayons, markers, glue, scissors, and construction paper.  Usually if you wait until a week or two after school starts, you can get these items REALLY cheap.  I got name brand scissors at Target last year on clearance for $0.51!  I always try to have enough of everything to go around, or for two boys to share things like glue bottles and packs of markers or crayons.  


And quite honestly, the dollar store, specifically Dollar Tree for me (no affiliation), has great finds.  I stock up on measuring cups and spoons, pencils, wiggle eyes, pipe cleaners, river rocks (pet rocks, geologist pin) and many other craft supplies.  We've also used dollar store flip flops and shoe laces to make lacing cards for the Knots electives, as well as neck ties and rope.  When we put together our Outdoor Camping Essentials pack (Wolf elective 23 I think?)  I got everything but the food from the dollar store.  If I recall correctly, I found large plastic pencil cases that had a clip attached, small flashlights, collapsible water bottles, first aid kits, and a few other items.  We added granola bars for camping food.  I think there is one around here somewhere.  When I track it down I will edit with the pictures.


What items to you recycle for scout projects?  Is there anything else that you stock up on because you just know you're going to need it?


Until Next Time,


CubMom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. Thanks for all the great ideas. Another source for recycled items is Restore(Run in conjunction with Habitat for Humanity), if there is one around you. You can also find things on Freecycle.