Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Quick and Easy iSpy Bottle

This is a project I did with my kids a while back.  I usually like to test out project ideas on my own kids and some of their friends to get an idea of how easy or hard, where they need extra help or instruction, and how long I can expect it to take.  This particular project turned out to be a little messier than I'd hoped, so I haven't done this with scouts yet.  I think I've come up with an alternative though that will work and I'll use it in this scouting year.


I've been saving empty plastic bottles for this craft.  16oz. or 20oz. are a good size.  Try to get ones that don't have a lot of indents in the design of the bottle, and clear plastic works best.  Target brand sparkling water has a nice bottle, and Coke bottles work nicely too.

I gathered up a bunch of little items I had laying around in my supply drawers.  Sequins, shaped buttons, alphabet beads, pony beads, pretty much anything you can fit through the top of the bottle will work.  You can see I used items that float, as well as items that sink.  Pour a generous amount of regular round sequins in the bottom of the bottle, about 1/2" high.  Then add all of your other pieces in no particular order.  Finally, fill the bottle half full with water and fill it the rest of the way with clear corn syrup (the messy part).  You need to fill it as high as you can to eliminate any air in the bottle.  Put the lid on as tight as you possibly can.  You can even glue the cap to the bottle.  When shaken up, everything mixes together and your kids can play a game to find various objects.
All shaken up.  Can you find a pair of sunglasses?

Since the whole water/corn syrup proved to be pretty messy, I'm going to use colored rice when I do this with the scouts.  You can make your own by mixing several drops of food coloring with a teaspoon of rubbing alcohol per cup of dried rice.  Make sure to let it dry for several hours before storing.

Until next time,

CubMom


No comments: